Friday, April 12, 2013

Finding "Caleb" - Part One

YES, WE ARE ADOPTING AGAIN!!!  Here's the story.

Long ago Eric and I chose the name "Caleb" for the son that God would send us. 

We chose the name Caleb because of his story in the Bible.  A story that demonstrates that Caleb was a faithful man who served God with all his heart.  He was one of the 12 spies who went into Canaan to scout out the land for Moses, who believed that Canaan was The Promised Land God was giving to Israel.  Caleb spoke up, in boldness and courage, to say that the nation of Israel should go and conquer the land.  Not even Joshua, their leader, had that initial confidence.  Caleb was the one who encouraged Israel to follow God's will, in spite of fears and doubts and opposition.  (Thus the ancient Hebrew meaning of Caleb  = "whole hearted".)  This is the kind of son we would be privileged and humbled to raise, if God would bring us such a son.

Skipping forward to the latter part of 2012... 

We now had two precious daughters, our beautiful princesses from China and Taiwan.  Selah had been home with us for more that a year and was doing so well in her forever family.  We took such joy in how God had helped her attach to us and to integrate fully into our family.  We felt so blessed and content with the family God gave us.  And yet,,,we were becoming unsettled again.  God was stirring something inside us.  We began to talk, pray and dream about the future of our family.  To dream about our next child.  I personally began to feel that our next child would be a son - our son Caleb.  I sensed that God was preparing this child and preparing us for what was to come.

Eric and I prayed about several different options for adding the next child to our family.  We have always been open to any child.  Well, if I'm being completely honest,,,NOW we are open to ANY child He would bring us.  God used some amazing and some heartbreaking circumstances over the past several years to bring us to this point.  God does stuff like that. :)  He works on us, and refines us, and chips away the ugliness in us, until we have hearts like His

That is why we have said yes to God about sooooo many things when it comes to adoption.  We have said yes to:
~Adopting a kiddo right here in the United States
~Adopting a kiddo overseas
~Adopting a group of siblings
~Adopting a kiddo of any race or ethnicity
~Adopting a baby, a toddler, a preschooler, or a school aged child
~Adopting a kiddo with special needs
~Adopting a kiddo with a medical condition that requires ongoing treatment
~Adopting a kiddo with Hepatitis B or HIV or some other condition that (uneducated) people sometimes call "scary" or "ugly" or even "no way in heck!"

We totally trust that God knows the perfect child for our family-- the child who needs us and what we have to offer.  God also knows which child we need.  Because let's face it.  Raising children makes us better people.  It teaches us about ourselves and the areas where we need to grow.  It teaches us about laughter and joy, and sometimes pain and tears.  It teaches us the meaning of unconditional love.  And most importantly, it teaches us what it means "to be adopted as sons".  Our Heavenly Father adopts us into His "forever family", where we will spend eternity with Him and all those who love God!!

So here Eric and I are on the edge of the unknown.  What did God have in store?  For me especially, the excitement and anticipation of another child was growing.  For Eric? Well yes, him too.  But you have to understand my husband is the calm headed practical one.  That's why he needs ME to balance him out!! :-)  We started into the whole research thing again.  ("we" means "me", but I did give Eric regular briefings.)  We continued to pray and discuss our options. 

We also came up with a really good Plan.  We decided that we would learn all we could during 2013, and in early 2014 we would make a final decision (with God's leading) as to which adoption route to pursue.  That would give us time to finish some much needed home improvements and pay off all those car repairs to our two elderly automobiles (poor things), as well as those pesky medical bills (who knew how expensive tubes in the ears are--eek!).  See what I mean?  Perfectly good plan. Well, unless sometime before that God brought a child to us that was The Child that would be Our child.

Now we come to January of 2013...

During one of our adoption conversations, we learned something really important.  We both had a heart for Haiti.  Three years prior, right after the devastating earthquake, Eric and I had looked seriously into adopting a child from Haiti, because the need there had become so great (still is, by the way).  We also looked into fostering some of the evacuated children until they could return to Haiti.  In the end, neither option worked out.  However, each unbeknownst to the other, Eric and I continued to hold special feelings for the Haiti and its children.  We discovered this in January, three years later.

We took that as a meaningful sign and began to seriously pray if God might be leading us in this direction.  Within a few short weeks our answer was, Yes, Haiti seems to be the direction God is leading us.

During this time I joined a wonderful and supportive online community of people adopting children from Haiti.  What an amazing source of information, not to mention very amazing and caring people!  I started making some friends in the group, and they helped guide me through the Haiti process and told me about many ministries / organizations that run orphanages (called "crèches") for orphaned children available for adoption.  I started visiting websites to read all I could about these ministries and their crèches.  It is amazing how many godly people have answered the call to serve the children and communities of Haiti.  Praise God for those individuals!

So one day in mid February I looked up the website of another highly recommended ministry that ran a crèche.  I was blessed and amazed to see all that they do in their local community in Haiti-- educational programs, medical clinics, job training, agricultural programs and much more.  But I didn't leave the website until I checked out their adoption page, of course.  Everything seemed straight forward, so I moved on.  I couldn't resist clicking on the adoption link, The Children, before I left their website.

I scrolled through all the faces of boys and girls and sibling groups until I got to the very last child. 
And I saw it.  I saw the face. The face of a beautiful 5 year old boy with sparkling eyes and The Most beautiful smile.  Immediately I burst into tears...great, gasping sobs.  I didn't know what was wrong with me, but something very significant had happened.  I was making such a racket that I got Eric's attention at the other end of the house.

"Honey?  Are you okay??"

"I'll be right there..." I say, still sobbing.

I took my laptop to him, set it down in front of him and pointed at the little boy.  Through tears and a very unsteady voice, I said, "I think I just found our son!!"

Eric stared quietly at the boy for a moment.  Then he wrapped me in his arms and said, "Let's pray.  Dear Lord..."


AND SO ENDS PART 1.  TO BE CONTINUED...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    I LOVE your heart. I was interested in reading your story because of your connection with Sonia. What a beautiful example of Christ-like-ness she has had in her life with you as a friend. I'm excited about your 3rd adoption. What a joy!!

    You may be interested in reading how God's love is spreading through my life as well. It's the most wonderful thing to talk about and share!! I write a blog called Quiet Waters and I'd love to connect with you there. www.pamenderby.blogspot.com

    Let me know if you'd like to stay connected.

    blessings,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,

      Thanks for stopping by! Sonia is precious to me. :) I am blessed to have her in my life.

      I have read some of your blog posts in the past, but will check them out again. Thanks for the reminder!

      Jennifer

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

You can join our journey by posting a comment or question. Please join in!