Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Surprising Mom and Dad

We were really good about keeping quiet about our secret.  We wanted to make sure doors were truly opening for us to adopt W.  We also wanted to have complete peace about walking the adoption road again.  We have no desire to drag family and friends along an emotional roller coaster ride, nor do we want to suffer the heartbreak of a failed adoption (been there - done that).  God gave us that peace!

So how should we share the exciting news with our parents?!  Turns out, as I'm concocting clever plans, I learn that Eric has already told his parents.  Huh??  How did I get to be the patient one, honey??  When did you become the excitable one?? ;-)

Every time we've adopted, we announced the news in a different way, so I needed a new idea.  I scanned the internet and scanned my scrapbook supplies and gradually an idea began to form for sharing the news with my mom and dad.  I found a few stickers and bright post-it notes and here's what I came up with:

I purchased a map of the world gift bag and a map of the
Caribbean.  I labeled the bag with a card
with colors in the Haitian flag...

My dad loves maps, so I sent them on a super easy hunt for the star...
 
...located where W. lives...

This bag contained a small and suspiciously empty picture frame...


The next bag-- 2 (children we have now) + 1=
 

Open the paper to find a sonogram of Haiti...

Drumroll please...Photos of W.!! 

A note clipped to the back of the photos.  A teaser-- Mom and Dad,
you have to call us to get the story... :)
 
A photo collage of some of my favorite photos of W.


How did it all turn out?

I asked a friend to help me carry out my scheme.  I put everything inside the gift bag, then the gift bag into a brown paper shopping bag.  I wanted the surprise to look innocuous.  We drove to my parents house and used my key to sneak in.  Where to leave the bag??  Ah ha!  On the kitchen counter where the bag wouldn't seem immediately out of place, until they remembered they hadn't shopped at Earth Fare that day! Ha!

That night Eric and I expected a call.  Waited.  Never came.  Hmmm.  Could they seriously have missed the package?? 

We did eventually have that exciting talk with them, at 12:30pm the next day!  Turns out they didn't discover the package until late the previous night!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can join our journey by posting a comment or question. Please join in!